Friday, April 19, 2013

Update on the first day in the greenhouse

Well, we made it through the first day in the greenhouse!  I can't believe how scared I was / am! 

Mid-morning yesterday, I took out several flats of tomatoes (both roma, cherry and beefsteak), one flat of sweet peppers and all of the cold weather crops (broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage).  I kept everything closed up to start with (it was still pretty cold outside).  Went to check on them a couple of hours later and the broccoli was almost toast!  It was so sad -- and everything was DRY AS A BONE (wow, it really soaked up the water in these plants).  So, I watered everything and then opened up the vents in the roof of the greenhouse.  Left for one more hour and then checked again.  Doing much better, but still needed some help, so I opened up the top half of the front door (it has a window) and left for another hour.  Came back and checked on them and they had perked up and looked GREAT!  Whew -- good thing I work from home (most of the time).

Kept everything there the rest of the afternoon until I got home at 6 p.m. and it was starting to get really cold outside.  Brought inside the tomatoes and peppers.  Left the cold weather crops out there until 11 p.m. (was planning on keeping them there all night but chickened out). 

This morning I woke up and they ALL look FANTASTIC!  The tomatoes and the cabbage have "jumped" (shot up quickly) and I am one happy momma.  Now, today should be warmer outside and so I have to be careful, but I will start hardening off the cold weather crops to go out in the garden by next week sometime.

So, there is the update on our "babies" -- keep the prayers going; it is working because it certainly isn't this novice that is making this work :)

Have a great "spring" day!

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment