Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Greenhouse, ready or not, here we come!

We put up our greenhouse late last fall and really need to start using it; I have about 50 flats of veggies sitting inside my home and under lights.  However, I have no experience with a greenhouse and so, I hesitate.  What happens if I put the flats out there and then I either freeze them or burn them up?  To be honest, I'm quite anxious about putting them out there, BUT Kim sent me this article and when I finished reading it (read the last line), I realized that I am not the only one who is anxious about putting their flats out in the greenhouse.  So, tomorrow, if the weather has improved (and maybe even if it hasn't), I'm going to get brave and take several of them out there...so, PRAY HARD for my seedling babies!  Susan


Seedlings stack up


Fri, May 02, 2008 · Filed under Seed startingSpringVeggies

Grow racks packed with seedlings

With the cold snap about to break, the final potting up is fully underway, a few days later than last year, but no worries. Even with the new, fourth grow rack, things are tight, with four trays to a shelf instead of the ideal two—better to give ‘em all an equal ration of light for a couple of days until the first wave is out in the greenhouse, than leave some of them on unlit tables. At the same time, started the cucurbits: several varieties of cucumber and summer squash, with melons, winter squash and pumpkins soon to follow. The rain so far has been good, over an inch (25mm) in the last couple of days, and a bit more apparently to come. OK, cool. Then, bring on the heat!

Seedlings away!


Sat, May 10, 2008 · Filed under GreenhouseSeed startingSpringToolsVeggies

Ferrying seedlings to the greenhouse

Things can change suddenly on the tiny farm. I picked today to move the majority of seedlings to the greenhouse. Although this was MUCH later than hoped for earlier this year, it’s all about the (recently COLD) weather, and I didn’t want to spend much on heat. But you can’t wait forever. There’ll probably be at least a couple of freezing nights in the next two weeks, but it IS getting to mid-May, and these guys will be out in the field, one way or another, before the end of the month. So, it’s out of the Milkhouse and onto the trailer behind the little John Deere riding mower for a little trip…

Seedlng tables nearly full

The greenhouse tables are now just about full, and that’s with a fourth one added a week or so ago. Plus, there are a few more trays of plug sheets on the ground off to the right. Lots more seedlings than ever before… On the closest table, there’s the (excellent) digital min-max thermometer/hygrometer, recording critical highs and lows, right after the fact! New this year are those red and green plastic pots (with cukes, squash, pumpkins, melons)—I decided to stop using the 3″ peat pots and try soil blocks, BUT, I didn’t feel like learning about block making right in the rush, so I used the last of the peat and then dipped into the collection of plastic pots I’ve been given over the years. (I’ll get the soil block maker in the summer, so I can play around with it first…)

Grow racks empty

It’s always a little…sad when bright, cheerful gear goes dark and empty… There are still a few trays of really young tomatoes, brassicas, and a couple of other late-started things, but the grow rack days are just about over for the year. We’ll soon be stowing the lights and chains, and presto, instant rolling racks for harvest bins. Transplants for late spring and summer will get started in the greenhouse…

Seedlings under row cover

And so, the seedling greenhouse gets tucked in for its first full-house night of the season. Boy, imagine if something WENT WRONG in there… :)

No comments:

Post a Comment